Review Quick look at the OnePlus One

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by JD666, Jan 17, 2015.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Thanks to my dear friend for letting me play around on his device. The OnePlus One has been the phone of the year 2014 for a lot of online publications and tech enthusiasts. The invite system might have made this a tad hard to for everyone to get their hands on, but slowly and steadily the ranks are growing. I have seen many friends online, requesting for oPo invites, which can only say more about the hype this device has created.

With a CM or CyanogenMod ROM that's a custom Android iteration, 3GB Ram, Full HD screen, Quad Core processor and 64 Gb of storage, enough reviews and tests have been done online. This article hopes to look at the device from a lay man's point of view. Honestly, this article should be titled How I convinced my friend to not buy a Note 4 and get the OnePlus One. More on that later.

WP_20150116_021.jpg
    First up, device bulk and size.

Well to be honest, the device is pretty big as seen in the following images. But a combination of the curved profile (a la HTC), the Sandstone finish on the back panel, and the slim design, make this an extremely easy device to hold and operate. The screen size and bulk was not as evident as I would probably feel holding a Samsung Note or similar sized device.

I like it so much so, that if ever, the remote chance occurs that I plan to shift to a screen size bigger than the iPhone 6 or the ~4 inch that I like, it would probably be this device.

IMG_4007.jpg

The device is a delight to hold.

WP_20150116_009.jpg

Versus the iPhone 6

WP_20150116_010.jpg

The dull sandstone finish is definitely unique to this mobile. Definitely not worth putting a cover on. But will it last?
    This is the question that only time will tell. The sandstone finish is really good, but only time will tell how well does it hold up against the elements and regular usage. It does however warrant no phone cover, if you really want to enjoy the feel of holding this mobile.

WP_20150116_009.jpg

The glass though Gorilla Glass 3, does feel durable and strong, unlike many chinese variations seen floating around. To put it into perspective, it is as good (resistance to bending/flex) as a Samsung Note or an LG G3. There is a tiny metallic bezel that runs around the perimeter of the device, giving it that easy hold feel as well.

Once you power up, the bezel becomes evident. Though they have minimized it along the sides, it is pretty evident at the top and bottom of the mobile -

IMG_4005.jpg

Image captured in the dark to highlight the bezel to screen ratio.
    I was able to run a couple of benchies (Antutu and Quadrant) and this essentially as shown everywhere on the internet, is absolutely right up there with the competition. What it means? Read on.

Screenshot_2015-01-16-20-49-08.png

Screenshot_2015-01-16-20-50-01.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-16-20-53-53.png

Antutu and Quadrant scores.
    For the first time in ages, I experienced a lag free Android GUI. Everything was snappy and responsive, with little to no lag time. The Motorola X and the likes do come in the same league, but for once I was happy with my Android experience. As told to me by my friend, the OnePlus One did come pre-installed with some manufacturer apps like battery saver and the likes, but he was able to uninstall all the unwanted clutter.

A quick look at the available RAM -

Screenshot_2015-01-16-20-55-13.png
    To be honest, I was kind of surprised at the memory usage. I had never thought that Android would become such a bloatware consuming and requiring so many resources and processing power.

WP_20150116_21_11_06_Pro.jpg

The right side houses only the power/lock button. Key response is good and ergonomic.

WP_20150116_21_10_44_Pro.jpg

The left side houses the volume rocker and the SIM tray.

WP_20150116_21_10_56_Pro.jpg

The top has the headphone jack only.

WP_20150116_017.jpg

And the bottom houses the Micro-USB port and loudspeaker ports.
    Tried a couple of videos, and I must say, the Loudspeaker was pretty impressive. Not only was it loud as intended, it was also clear and crisp, which generally is a bane of cost cutting. No such issues here.

WP_20150116_019.jpg
    According to the user, the phone gives a very good standby of one full day easily and still having around 40% charge by the end of the day. This is with Data (4G LTE) and BlueTooth being on, constantly. Heavy calling included. Which is definitely impressive.

Imaging -

Sadly this is one aspect where this phone is only about average. There are a number of focus and exposure settings available to the user, however still indoor images came as if they were over exposed.

This does allow you to save the RAW image as well, though not sure how useful would they be, if the imaging is so-so. I'll wait for @Stuge to provide his findings on that.

Anyways, I took 2 shots to compare, a standard Auto mode and a full zoom of the same things. Comparing shots with the iPhone 6 (taken at the same time), the below are the results -

Note - All images have been re-sized to 50% using batch resize tool -

First up the OnePlus One -

opo 01.jpg

And full zoom -

opo 02.jpg

Same shot, on tripod taken with iPhone 6 -

iPhone 6 01.jpg

Zoomed -

iphone 6 02.jpg

The difference is noticeable.

To sum it up - A worthy device for the price. How well it will last, only time will tell, but there is no need to buy an overpriced 5.5 inch phablet phone if you don't give this a look once.

2. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

Nexus 5 is not laggy at all.

3. JD666

Battery life?

4. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

shhh no more questions

5. turbo99i

turbo99i RAID Rookie

Nice review J, I got a chance to experience the voice quality over phone this time in Delhi, this end iphone other end 1+1 seems there is lot of opportunity to improve the basic call quality. It's not crisp and consistent compared to any day to day phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. JD666

Funny bit is, I agree. I felt the same thing. Spoke to my friend (he was on the OpO and I was on the iP6), it sounded like any other regular 1100 INR Nokia mobile. Nothing special about the voice clarity or quality. It was really really regular.

turbo99i likes this.
  7. Stuge

Stuge RAID Rookie

Waiting for cyanogen to release cm12 .One plus will release their own os in mid march for Indian users.I dont think I will migrate from cm this easily.